The sheen of gold has fascinated mankind from time immemorial! From being hailed the excrement or tears of gods to being considered a mixture of dense sunlight and water, gold has many mythical references and legends to its name. It has played the crucial element in many adventure stories, blockbuster movies and even the hallmark of some of history’s most poignant moments. Gold is something we all own today, but how much of this glow do we really know and understand.
Here are 22 interesting and fun facts about gold that you may not know!
1. Gold is the only naturally occurring metal that is yellow or gold in colour. Other metals can only gain similar colour when oxidised or treated with chemicals
2. Gold is measured in Karat and diamonds in Carat.
3. Gold is available in 10, 12, 14, 18, 22 and 24 karat options.
4. The purest version of gold is 24 karat. The 18 karat option consists of 75% pure gold, 14 karat consists of 58.5% pure gold and the 10 karat version consists of 41.7% pure gold. The remainder portion is a mixture of other metals such as silver, copper, platinum, zinc, nickel, iron, etc.
5. Apparently, all the gold on Earth came from meteorites that bombarded us millions of years ago!
6. There is enough gold in Earth’s core to coat all of our planet’s surface, apparently to the depth of 1.5 feet! Imagine roads of gold!?
7. Over 80% of the world’s gold still remains to be extracted, we have hardly used much, have we now!?
8. Gold is one of the most flexible, malleable and ductile metals, gold can be beaten into sheets so thin, they would be a little transparent and over 200000 sheets would amount to only over 1 inch in height!
9. 100% Pure gold is usually not used in jewellery making as it is so soft that you can change its shape simply with your hands!
10. One ounce or 28.34 gram gold nugget is a much more rare find than a 5 carat diamond!
11. Gold is a thick, dense metal, yet it is considered non-toxic and has been used in food and drink as an edible metal!
12. Gold is great because it does not rust, tarnish or oxidise. It just keeps glowing, ain’t that great!?
13. According to NASA, it is estimated that the near-Earth asteroid, Eros, contains over 20 billion tonnes of gold. Talk about a glamorous disaster!
14. Anyways, we have enough and more gold here on earth. Under every cubic mile of sea water, there are 25 tonnes of gold.
15. Gold is used beyond jewellery making in the fields of electronics, wiring, dentistry, medicine and radiation shields to name a few.
16. That being said over 49% of the gold mined is used for jewellery making!
17. India is the world’s largest consumer of gold today.
18. Aurophobia is the fear of gold. But seriously, who has it!?
19. Did you know that you could lose up to six milligrams of gold from your wedding ring every year due to wear and tear.
20. The world’s first gold vending machine was unveiled in May 2010 in Abu Dhabi. The vending machine itself was covered in 24 karat gold.
21. Our bodies contain about 0.2 milligrams of gold, most of it in our blood. So we do have gold running in our veins huh!
22. Pure gold does not possess any ordour or taste and this makes sense as it is a non-reactive metal. So, in this case, there’s no smell of money!
How many of these facts were you aware of? Have more to share? Do so in the comments below.